In cooperation with the Director of Quality, Safety Specialist, Chemical Maintenance Team, and Lab Team, the Environmental Health Specialist will inspect, investigate, and document environmental health conditions to ensure compliance with Federal, State, County and local environmental health and safety laws, ordinances and regulations. In addition, ensure the mitigation of employee exposure to chemical hazards through the application of appropriate engineering controls and personal protective equipment in compliance with all environmental health and safety regulatory requirements.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee all hazardous waste streams including air quality and storm water responsibilities and engineering controls.
- Serve as company liaison with local, state, and federal governing agencies (Clean Air Agencies, KCIW, DOE, EPA, OSHA, and L&I.).
- Ensure compliance with all applicable federal, state and local requirements governing environmental protection and occupational safety and health standards by staying current and informed on federal, state, and local rules and regulations.
- Monitor environmental compliance and assure timely internal and external reporting.
- Develop and maintain environmental health and safety materials, emergency plans, and train employees in spill prevention and spill management practices.
- Provide guidance and assistance for all emergency situations.
- Implement all aspects of EHS investigations, data analysis, recurrence prevention programs, and continuous improvement procedures.
- Directly support delivery of all EHS training for all levels of employees.
- Provide guidance to Building Maintenance and Chemical Maintenance departments on matters involving environmental health and related controls.
- U.S. Person status required due to export control.
- Utilize professional communication skills and respond effectively to EHS compliance issues, inquires, and/or complaints of a critical nature.
- Analyze data, write, and submit reports.
- Effectively communicate technical and complex EHS concepts and requirements.
- Ability to work effectively in an inclusive work environment; including a wide variety of personalities, skills levels, and communication forms.
- Familiarity and working knowledge of the MS Office Suite, including Powerpoint and Visio
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to juggle multiple projects at one timeAbility to travel within the Puget Sound region
- Support others in a team environment
- CPR/First Aid Certified
- Adaptation and flexibility with daily routines
- BS in Environmental Health and Safety, Engineering, Environmental Science, Environmental Management, Occupational Safety, or a related field is preferred. Combination of associate degree and directly related EHS compliance experience may be considered.
- 2 to 3 years of directly related experience in environmental health and safety compliance in the aerospace industry is a plus.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to stand, walk and sit throughout the workday
- Frequent periods of standing and/or movement
- Frequent periods of sitting at a work station
- Exposure to indoor manufacturing environment
- Occasional exposure to chemicals, odors and fumes
- Ability to lift 10 lbs.
Constant Frequent Occasional
(5-8 hrs./shift) (2-5 hrs./shift) (Up to 2 hrs./shift)
ABOUT SKILLS INC.
Skills Inc. is a self-supported, social enterprise and is organized as a 501 (c) (3) non-profit. We have four lines of business; Aerospace Manufacturing, Aerospace Finishing, Technical Services, and Business Solutions, that operate in 4 locations. Skills Inc. employs over 700 people. Our social mission is to train, employ and serve persons with disabilities. We accomplish our mission in three ways; direct hire, vocational programs and services, and as a resource and role model to the community.
Drug Free Workplace, EEO, ADA. Criminal background check and drug test required.
Individuals with disabilities highly encouraged to apply.
Skills, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer